Pages

Friday, August 7, 2009

Challenges, Challenges, EVERYWHERE!

Well....took a trip to Frankenmuth yesterday with my daughter. The whole thing was fraught with trials and tribulations. First - in the past, any road trip taken began with a jaunt to the corner carryout to load up on "travel food". You know, Pringles, Chex Mix, Slim Jims... and then a run through the closest McDonald's to the interstate so I could get a large diet Coke. All of that was off of the table and I packed a small cooler filled with raspberries, blueberries, tomato slices, cucumbers, and water bottles. One hurdle - taken!

Second - again, in the past, any trip to Frankenmuth included a family style chicken dinner at the Bavarian Inn restaurant. Fit with mashed potatoes, buttered corn, buttered noodles, warm dinner rolls, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and sweet potatoes. So, we walked through the Castle Shops beneath the restaurant and smelled each and every one of those items and had lunch where I could get something not fried, not buttered, and not full of bad carbs, fat and empty calories. I ended up with a chef salad with chicken and a little ham. Fulfilling? In a different way. I REALLY wanted that family style chicken dinner. But I will save that for a time when I can actually control myself. Two hurdles - taken!

Third - what is a trip to Frankenmuth without a brick or two of warm homemade Fudge Kitchen fudge? Not a trip at all, I must say! Although I cannot have the warm silky smooth chocolaty goodness, my daughter can...so, we ventured in and she picked a slice of chocolate raspberry. It's all hers and it should (better) last her quite a while! Not even a taste for me. So far, so good! Three hurdles - taken!

What a GREAT trip! The joy of Christmas!

2 comments:

jlcooper said...

All in all, still sounds like a good trip....good to face those challenges and win!!!! Good job!.....also, Frankenmuth sure looks different in the summer!

Kristi said...

It was a great trip and we had a lot of fun! Frankenmuth is not the same in the summer - but still a wonderful place. And while we were inside Bronner's - it felt like Christmas. Minus all of the people in shorts and t-shirts.

k